What the Danish Concept Hygge Can Teach Us About Better Organization
The obsession with IKEA when it comes to all things furniture shows that people love the simplicity and functionality of Scandinavian design. Another Scandinavian term called "hygge" (pronounced "hyoo-guh") has also taken the world by storm. The concept of hygge, which is a Danish term for finding joy in small moments, can be used to organize and declutter as well.
By understanding the concept of hygge, you can learn to let go of possessions that don't bring joy or utility to your life while also creating a more organized environment free of clutter.
What Is Hygge?
Hygge is a Danish concept that emphasizes finding joy in simple activities, spending time with friends and family, and enjoying the life you have. It's all about living in the moment and appreciating what has been given to you.
The Danish say it stems from the cold winter months and the need to enjoy the people and things that are immediately around you—after all, you're spending a lot of time inside with them! Hygge seems to go hand-in-hand with simple living and minimalism.
What Does Hygge Teach about Organization and Loving Your Space?
Hygge can help to create a more organized and efficient home. By letting go of items that don't bring you joy or utility, you will be able to simplify your living space and make it easier to find what you need. Most people are natural packrats—we keep everything, just in case we might need it someday.
Hygge encourages you to get rid of excess without going full minimalist. You don't have to live with only the bare essentials but rather, only the things that make you happy and are functional. When your living space is organized, it can make everything from cleaning to finding items easier and more enjoyable.
It's also important to create an environment that is comfortable and inviting. Invest in pieces that are visually appealing and comfortable, like a cozy armchair or throws—anything that creates an inviting atmosphere.
Hygge teaches us to be mindful of the things we own and how they contribute to our happiness. So, if something doesn't bring you joy anymore, it's time to let it go! This will help create a calmer and more organized environment.
How Do You Benefit From Hygge?
Not only will you love living in a clutter-free environment but it also creates a sense of calm and peace that comes with knowing where everything is located. Hygge teaches us to create an environment full of what we love and to be conscious of our possessions.
It also encourages us to take a break from our everyday routines and just enjoy life. Hygge is all about slowing down, taking moments to appreciate the little things, and being grateful for what you have.
By incorporating hygge into your life, you can learn to let go and create a better organized environment that will bring joy into your life.
How Can You Better Organize Your Home to Follow This Concept?
If we've convinced you to add a little bit of hygge to your lifestyle, here are 10 tips to get started!
1) Start by tackling the biggest areas of clutter first.
2) Take some time to consider what items bring you joy and which ones are no longer useful.
3) Invest in pieces that both look good and are functional.
4) Prioritize comfort when selecting furniture.
5) Use decorative storage boxes or bins to keep items organized and out of sight.
6) Take advantage of the natural beauty of products by displaying things like flour, sugar, and spices in clear jars and bins.
7) Make use of space-saving furniture items like ottomans or wall shelves.
8) Consider using open shelving to display things that are important to you.
9) Hang artwork, photos, and other decorations to create a warm and inviting atmosphere.
10) Use a self storage unit to clear your home of things that you don't need frequently but can't get rid of, such as holiday decorations, seasonal clothing, and outdoor furniture.
So, take a moment to slow down, enjoy the little things, and practice hygge for better organization!
Make Hygge Easy With Midgard Self Storage
When you're trying to create a hygge lifestyle in your home, Midgard Self Storage can help. Our secure self storage units provide a safe and affordable place to store items that are no longer being used but still hold sentimental value.