23 Unique New Year's Resolutions for the Aspiring Minimalist
It's the most wonderful time of the year but it's also the most cluttered! With the holidays come boxes of decorations, new gadgets, neighbor gifts, and a whole lot more. Of course, the new year is often used as an excuse to declutter your life with vague goals like "spend less" or "stay organized," but here at Midgard Self Storage, we like to keep it simple.
So this holiday season we want to inspire you with some fun and unique New Year's resolutions geared specifically towards aspiring minimalists. So whether you're looking to declutter your home, simplify your life, or get rid of all the excess stuff in your life once and for all, here are 23 resolution ideas that will help you do just that, along with why we think minimalist habits are important.
Why Staying Organized Should Be One of Your 2023 Goals
Everyone has different emotional attachments to things, so when we say "organized," we don't mean "get rid of everything." But making sure everything you do keep has a specific place is important. Here's why:
Having a designated home for everything means you'll always know exactly where to find it. This not only saves you time and frustration, but it also helps eliminate clutter since it's much easier to put things back than to let them pile up in random spots around the house.
Staying organized can help improve your productivity levels. When you can quickly and easily find what you're looking for, this frees up your mental energy to focus on higher-level tasks.
Minimalist habits are a great way to stay in control of your life. Knowing where everything is gives you the sense of calm and control that comes with achieving balance and order in your home.
The Secret to Keeping New Year's Resolutions
80% of people who make New Year's Resolutions drop them by February, so they don't have a great track record! But there are some simple decisions you can make to really nail your 2023 goals:
Keep it simple and specific. If your goal is to work on your minimalist habits, set a small daily or weekly goal to keep you on track. Maybe that's a 15-minute reset once a week to put everything back where it belongs. No matter what it is, make it simple and impossible to misunderstand!
Write it down. In a study with Harvard MBA students, researchers found that the 3% of students who had written goals earned 10 times more than their classmates who didn't write goals down. There's something about putting pen to paper that makes us more committed to our goals, so make sure you write out your resolutions and put them somewhere visible.
Track your progress. Keeping track of how you're doing is an important part of reaching any goal in life. Maybe it's a simple checklist or a chart on your wall, but whatever tool helps you see your progress will help keep you motivated.
23 Goals to Better Your Minimalist Habits
1. Declutter one room or area of your home each week.
2. Donate an item to charity every day.
3. Unsubscribe from all unnecessary email subscriptions and newsletters.
4. Clear out your inbox by unsubscribing from old emails and organizing everything else into labeled folders.
5. Make a list of 5-10 items that no longer serve you and sell them online or at a garage sale.
6. Clear out your closet and get rid of any clothes that don't fit anymore or haven't been worn in over 6 months.
7. Experiment with zero-waste living by using reusable straws, shopping bags, and food storage containers.
8. Commit to a minimalist skincare routine by only using high-quality products that are free of fillers and harsh chemicals.
9. Use the KonMari method to declutter your home, starting with the easiest and most practical tasks first.
10. Practice daily gratitude by keeping a notebook or journal of all the things you're grateful for in life.
11. Commit to only buying used whenever possible, whether that's clothes, furniture, books, or electronics.
12. Take the KonMari method to your digital life by decluttering your computer, smartphone, and social media accounts.
13. Set up recurring appointments with yourself each week to stay on top of any organizing projects you have going on.
14. Try meditation or mindfulness techniques like yoga or deep breathing to help you stay in the moment and tune out distractions.
15. Invest in quality organizational tools like storage boxes, label makers, and filing systems to help keep your home neat and tidy.
16. Pick a minimalism book to read or podcast to listen to that aligns with your values, then stick to it!
17. Commit to not buying any unnecessary items for one month, and see what bad habits you can break in the process.
18. Try a digital detox to get back in touch with nature and your real-life relationships.
19. Rent out a storage unit for seasonal boxes, sentimental items, and long-term projects to keep your home clutter-free all year round.
20. Make your minimalist lifestyle an opportunity to reach out to people in need, whether that's donating your old clothes or volunteering at a local charity.
21. Set a budget for how much you can spend on non-essential items each month, then hold yourself accountable by tracking how much you're spending.
22. Use the "one in one out" rule to help prevent over-accumulating items in your home.
23. Encourage a friend to go minimalist with you so you can keep each other accountable!
Declutter 2023 With Midgard Self Storage
If you're committed to your minimalist habits this year, then Midgard Self Storage can help. With our convenient storage units in a wide range of sizes, you can easily declutter and organize your home, office, or garage. That overstuffed closet or grandma's furniture that you love but don't use can find a new home and give you the space you need.
With 24/7 access and climate-controlled units, we make it easy to keep on top of your organizing projects. So get a jumpstart on your 2023 goals and take your pick from Midgard Self Storage units!