Storage Unit Organization: How to Pack in a Way that Makes Sense
A storage unit can be just what you need to declutter your home and simplify your space. When you declutter, it's proven to decrease stress, help keep your home clean, and make it easier to find the things you need.
But there's a right way and wrong way to fill your storage unit with stuff. To help ensure that you're using your space effectively, here are some tips you can follow when packing up your storage unit.
Why Is Storage Unit Organization Worth It?
When you're packing up a storage unit, it's easy to just throw everything in and worry about reorganizing later. But taking the time to organize your space now will save you lots of headaches later on down the line. If you plan to visit your unit regularly, possibly to switch seasonal items out, you won't want to dig through boxes of clutter and push past furniture every time.
You'll know exactly where everything is, which means no wasted time or energy searching for things when you need them. Plus, if you don't organize your space upfront, it's easy to quickly fill up the entire unit and waste space—before you know it, you may be paying for a bigger storage unit than you need!
Tips for Simple Storage Unit Organization
1. Make a list: Before you pack anything up, make a list of all the items you plan to put into storage. This will help you stay organized and efficient as you move your things in and out.
2. Clean everything first: Sort through your stuff, tossing or donating any unwanted items and cleaning the rest before they go into storage. This will help deter any unwelcome visitors and make it easier to find things when you need them.
3. Label boxes: When packing up, clearly label each box with its contents so that you can easily identify what's inside without having to open it. This will save time in the long run and make it easier for you to find the items you need.
4. Create an aisle: When setting up your storage unit, create an aisle down the center of the space so that it's easy to access items in hard-to-reach areas.
5. Store furniture efficiently: When storing furniture, use tarps and blankets for protection from dust and moisture.
6. Pack your most used items in the front: Keep the items you use most in the front of your storage unit, so they are easy to access when needed. This will help save time and energy when searching for something specific.
7. Keep seasonal items or common areas together: If you plan to switch out seasonal items or rotate common areas, keep them together in one area so that they're easy to find when needed.
8. Use vertical space: Make use of the vertical space in your storage unit by using shelves and stackable containers. This will help ensure that you're making the most of your space and not wasting any valuable real estate.
By following these storage unit organization steps, you can ensure that your storage space is efficient, organized, and stress-free! Taking a little extra time upfront will save you lots of headaches in the future.
Midgard Self Storage: A Better Way to Store Your Stuff
With 24-hour access and a wide variety of unit sizes available, we can accommodate any kind of storage project—from decluttering to storing precious antiques. Our climate-controlled units keep your belongings in perfect condition, and with 24/7 security, you can trust us with even your most valuable items.
Find a location near you and start seeing the benefits of a decluttered home.